Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Review: Hull Zero Three

It seems to me I usually review books and movies I like. I could do that right now, but I thought I'd take a crack at a negative review.

I'm not a huge fan of science fiction and I'm trying to work my way into it. I do like survival horror movies and thought a survival horror novel would be a good place to start. That's why I picked up Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear.

Our main character dreams of his generation ship landing in paradise and he disembarks with his girlfriend and everything is amazing. Then he's woken up by a little girl and discovers the Ship is broken (or 'Sick') and they are no where near where they are supposed to be. He has some amnesia and can't remember his name or what half the common phrases he says mean. The little girl tell him he's Teacher and he's supposed to teach the rest of them what's going on.

Oh, and this isn't the first Teacher. The first Teacher died and this one is a clone. Everyone is a clone, but the Ship is running out of clones and resources and each one it makes is a little broken or wrong in some way. How wrong? Well it's hard to tell when even your main character isn't sure if he could be described as human, but several other characters are described as explicitly not human.

My biggest issue with it was the pause near the end where it's revealed the people who've survived and found a planet are reading this record (well there goes any mystery as whether they survive) and comment how the last record is the most horrible — and then it's nothing, barely worse than anything else read or explained beforehand.

Between that and the strange meandering writing style I can't suggest this book to anyone. It was an interesting read but that was about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

}