Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Positive attitude

Something I have learned in my few jobs is that a positive attitude is the most important thing you can have. Sure, it sucks that I am working at a certain popular toy store during the holiday season, but if I was down about that my days would be that much longer.

And this doesn't just go for the employees, it goes for the customers too. My job description is to help you and I will, surprisingly happy at seven in the morning. Yelling at me, or dissing the store is not going to make a toy suddenly appear out of thin air, and rarely will it cause the management to let you buy two hamsters instead on of one.

I originally learned this working in the Scene Shop at Radford. We had volunteer help for the Theatre 100 classes and the most important thing I would tell them was to try to enjoy the ten hours of slave labor. The ones who came in and were excited about playing with power tools for a couple of days had their hours go by quickly and made my hours go faster too. If they sulked about and acted like they didn't want to be there it took forever.

Today was a long day, not because I worked for seven hours but because customers kept having problems, some were real, others were imagined and the imagined ones were the ones that make the day long. One had the attitude that the store was trying to screw them out of all of their money, at the same time as she was trying to cheat the coupon system.

And no I didn't get bonus points for trying to help them cheat the system.
-X

No comments:

Post a Comment

}